See 'A Small Herd' videos in HD

Sunday, June 14, 2015

**Patio Garden 01**

Ok, so in my off time from the stables I have convinced my parents to set me up with a small patio garden.  And since they are awesome, they didn't take much convincing at all.  In fact, I think I just spoke the words, "Do you think I could have a basil cutting?" while visiting and they whisked me off to Mesquite Valley Growers in an instant.  
They bought me 3 Cilantro plants, 2 Sweet Basil, and 1 beautiful Gardenia.  

That was 5 weeks ago.  Just today, the last of my Cilantro has finally dried up but not before giving me some amazing harvests...I made delicious salsa mmmm
I let them all bolt but I'm not sure they ever made it to the seed production stage. They definitely flowered but the heat kicked up and they soon shriveled.

My basil is still doing well but has what I believe to be spider mites on their leaves. No biggie though. I bought some biodegradable liquid soap and mixed it with water to create a solution you spray on the leaves.  

The gardenia is also thriving. I watch carefully for yellowing leaves with green veins as a sign that I need to increase the acidity of the soil.  I add vinegar to the water once a week if necessary and also put used coffee grinds on top of the soil.  

I also have a succulent which has been hanging around for a few months before I started my "garden".  He simply loves the sun but requires more frequent watering during this heat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment