See 'A Small Herd' videos in HD

Sunday, June 14, 2015

It's hot but bearable.

I think this is the first year I actually don't mind the summer heat yet.  
Granted it has only been in the low 100's so maybe I will change my tune this week when we hit 110...but for now, I don't mind.  

Diamond has been doing quite well lately.  He is in good spirits when I let him walk around the arena on his own.  He never stays in one place for very long but when he has decided he is done with the heat (usually an hour or so passes) 
he comes to the gate and waits for me.  

Every morning we continue to mist off before going back to his stall.  I can tell he hates being wet but it eases my mind knowing I am doing what I can to keep him cool.  I also take that time to soak his feet and put coconut oil on them as well.  

How I wish I could have my own horse property...I would set up a special slow feeder on a small island as it were, surrounded by a pond that was just deep enough for Diamond to soak his own feet.  I'd put just a small flake in there..enough for him to take 30 mins or so to eat.  The trouble would be keeping it free of mosquito larva in the summer.  Perhaps I could just fill it and empty it daily.  

This all occurred to me while browsing Pinterest, as I often do, and I saw this pin!

No comments:

Post a Comment