See 'A Small Herd' videos in HD

Thursday, April 2, 2015

It has worked wonders!

The MTG has worked it's magic in only a few days!  Diamond's rear end looks a hundred times better, the dry skin is gone and his coat looks clear.  Of course I will continue to apply the MTG once daily for 1 week, just to be sure I get rid of all the bacteria. His legs will take a few more days to clear up I think.

And of course I forgot to get his beet pulp soaking this morning so I'll have to do it first thing when I get to the stables this evening...giving it as much time as possible to soak.  If it doesn't look soft enough, he will have to wait until tomorrow morning for supplements.  This morning he looked at me and made his "yawning" face..which I thought was a symptom of choke but maybe not?  He keeps eating all his bermuda and doesn't seem to be in an discomfort.  So I'm not sure what to make of the yawning behavior.

I read up recently on horses yawning, but haven't found anything I think is useful.  Some articles claim horses yawn 3 times in a row because they are learning something, some say it is due to restlessness, some say it is because they are stressed and uncomfortable.  I think I will continue to document each time Diamond yawns and what the circumstances are regarding that particular occurrence.

This morning when he yawned, I was on the east side of his stall, readying the pallet where I put his bermuda bale.  I looked up and him as he was watching me and he yawned at me. Just once.  I don't believe he was under any stress, he wasn't learning anything, but perhaps he was hungry?  I'm not sure..

No comments:

Post a Comment